With social media being the newest and the most convenient platform to reach out to most people, more and more companies and organisations are acknowledging the importance of online and digital marketing.
It is here that a social media manager steps in. A social media manager’s job is to represent a company and its products in every online and social media platform. They create the company’s goodwill, promote its products, interact with people online, reply to their comments, and turn their curiosity for the company into fandom.
There are many advantages to working as a social media manager :
- Work from home or anywhere else in world as long as there is internet connectivity.
- There is always a high demand for these jobs as company heads look for freelance social media managers as they are more cost-effective.
- Flexible working hours.
- Interesting and varied content to choose from.
- This can be a very convenient online job for students who are very well versed with social media and are in need of money.
A social media manager is like a PR expert. Their objectives are to paint their company in a positive light, respond and engage with the customer, create unique and innovative content to draw new customers, keep track of the sales generated by marketing, etc.
There are numerous social media manager websites across the internet where people freelance as social media managers. Having a social media manager provides long term benefits especially if it’s a new business. Social media managers reach out to target customers, understand their needs and pitch the company’s products to them, create and manage all online content.
There are a few very basic skills needed to be a social media manager:
- Impeccable communication skills to understand what the customer needs to convince him of the convenience of your products.
- Well versed with Microsoft Office especially Word and Excel.
- Experienced with proofreading one’s own work.
- Experience with social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter.
- Must know to pay attention to every minute detail
One of the queries that many people have before venturing into this profession is how much does it pay and how one earns money online. Truthfully it depends on a few factors:
- Whether the person wants to venture into this profession fulltime or part-time?
- How much experience does the person have?
- The company who is hiring them.
Yet a social media manager’s starting salary in India can vary from 15,000 rupees monthly to 25,000 rupees, or a package of 1.8 lakh to 2.8 lakh rupees annually.
Promotions and increments depend upon your performance. But the more experienced one gets the more salary he or she can draw.
In conclusion, the profession of a social media manager can be very lucrative especially for students who would like to have the privilege of working at the comfort of their homes along with flexible working hours and good pay structure.
With more companies trying to be digitised to capture the online market, this could be a very good opportunity for people in this profession and the people who want to get into this profession to work either under the banner of a company or freelance.