If you are looking online for a viable way to make money, then there is a niche that you can capitalize on. This niche is selling stock photos online.
It is a booming industry as Internet is the medium of communication for businesses and people these days. Businesses need images to complement their messages and not many businesses can hire exclusive photographer for themselves. That is why they purchase stock images and this niche has been developing and progressing. With the stock image industry booming, you will wonder how do I capitalize on it and sell my images online. Here in this blog, I will go over some simple tips and steps on what you can do to stay ahead of the game.
Before we get started, we need to consider what stock photography is. Stock Photos are simply photographs that photographers have put online for sale for commercial purposes. They are subject to usage licenses. The photographer, depending on the site they upload it on, and the medium it will be published, can set the prices of the images. Sometimes, the actual image is not being sold but it is being licensed and the copyright remains with the photographer.
If you want to achieve success in this industry, you need to focus on a few key points to allow you to stand out from the crowd.
- Conduct a research and find out what images are in demand. You can study different markets and then get images relating to those markets. It is not viable to just take photos without a plan and expect to make lots of sales. You need a lot of images to attract sales. The more images you have the more traffic you get. But the key is that you need to ensure that all of them are quality images catering to some specific purpose.
- The next thing to consider is the kind of license you will be using. There are different kinds of licensing; royalty free licensing and rights managed licensing. In Royalty-Free image, the license is prevalent with the microstock company and these connect eh photographers with the buyers. They usually pay the photographer the amount of the image but keep a considerable commission for themselves. These images are sold at a cheaper rate and are very popular, so the key to making money here is the volume of images sold. These images do not have exclusive rights and many customers can purchase the same image. Rights-managed License is more expensive and has more limitations. Large corporations usually purchase this kind of licensing as they have more exclusive rights over the image and can use it for advertising purposes.
- Focus on the quality of the image. You need to use a good quality camera and do not do a lot editing post processing. Most people are looking for clean, bright, full color image having sharp focus.
- Market your images using keywords, titles and tags that describe your photos in such a way that it easyfor yourclient to find them. You need to make the photos stand out to be able to sell them.
- The final aspect to consider is where you should sell the images. There are many popular webstock websites that you can use such as Getty Images, Shutterstock, IStock, Veer and Dreamstime.
To make money selling stock images is not easy due to the saturated market, but to be successful you need to be consistent. You need to have quality and quantity and sign up with the recommended stock agency to get started and being your journey towards building a good stream of financial income.