The trend these days is to have a job from the comfort of your home or in a location far from the actual office headquarters.
Many employers these days do not work in a traditional office, but instead work either from their homes or in a different country either part time or full time. This trend is known as Remote Work. Organizations as well as employees are favoring the concept of remote work instead of the traditional office due to different factors such as flexibility, technological progress, low infrastructure cost and enhanced productivity.
Despite the similarity to flexible job, remote job is inherently different from work at home or freelancer. The difference between a freelancer and remote job is that in a remote job, the employer is doing the same job that he would be doing in the office but from a different location, which could be his home. In contrast, a freelancer does not have the same responsibilities as a remote worker.
A remote worker still needs to complete projects and communicate with his team, conduct meetings and have discussions. The only difference is that they may not be in the same location and he would need to use technological devices to get the job done. However, all the particulars of his job will still need to be adhered to.
The advantages of Remote Work have been investigated and reports have shown that it actually results in higher productivity as workers feel they have fewer distractions. Companies these days are promoting remote work as they have seen improved productivity and lowered costs.
There are many benefits for the employee as well to be working remotely. Some of the benefits include:
- Having more time to do analytical work without any interruptions or distraction.
- You will improve your communication skills, as you have to constantly update and communicate with your team and office members.
- You will have health benefits, as the flexibility will ensure that you have lowered stress level and less chances of burnout.
- You will likely stay longer in the job as many of the job features are to your benefit and liking and this will motivate you to stay long term.
- It provides equal opportunities to both men and women, ending the gender war.
Just as there are benefits there are also some cons to remote work. These include:
- You may feel isolated, as you do not have the advantage of the social opportunities provided in a traditional job.
- You are responsible for your own work and to ensure that you are on track as there is no manager to oversee what you are doing every day.
- You may not be able to access your team as and when you need them and this can result in delays.
So, if you think you are cut out for a remote job and that it might work for you then there are a lot of opportunities these days as companies are realizing the benefits of remote work and are ready to experiment on it and reap its benefits.
The way to actually find remote work is to look for remote work specific ads. The beauty of the age of information technology is that there are many job boards that are advertising remote jobs. You can even search online till you find the perfect job as location is not a barrier for remote jobs and you can easily work for companies in other countries.